Favorite Songs of 2016 (presented in no order):
I made you a playlist of all of my jams this year.
Including: Angel Olsen, Daniel Ellsworth & The Great Lakes, M83, Bon Iver, Dawes, Dylan LeBlanc, Jill Andrews, Langhorne Slim, Amanda Shires and more!
Favorite Full Albums:
- Ruby the Rabbitfoot- Divorce Party
- John Paul White- Beulah
- Benji Hughes- Songs in the Key of Animals
- Angel Olsen- MY WOMAN
- Frightened Rabbit- Painting of a Panic Attack
- Chaos Emeralds- Chaos Emeralds
- Becky Warren- War Surplus
- Amanda Shires- My Piece of Land
- Tame Impala- Currents (okay, okay, it came out in 2015, but I listened to it the most in 2016)
- Jill Andrews- The War Inside Deluxe (I'm also cheating on this one because it was only two extra songs that came out in 2016, but I just really love this album)
Favorite Shows* of 2016:
- The Secret Sisters at Cumberland Caverns for Bluegrass Underground: Harmonies in a cave, 333 feet underground. It was SO cool.
- LCD Soundsystem at Bonnaroo: I think I stood completely still with my jaw open this entire show. It was unreal, the lights, the video, the dancing.
- Becky Warren at Family Wash: This show was the day after the election. Becky's album is beautiful, and the songs tell a story about a couple dealing the fallout of PTSD after a soldier returns from the war. She played the whole album, told the story, she cried/I cried, she shared her heart, and she made me feel better about the world. I've see so many shows, I don't get moved very often anymore- and I was MOVED.
- Amanda Shires at Station Inn during Americana Fest: At this show, I had been managing Amanda for less than a month. I hadn't seen her play live since we started working together. It was completely sold out and full to the brim, the energy was electric, her band killed it, she was hilarious, and Rolling Stone called her a superhero.
- Timbre at WELD- Timbre plays the harp and sings like an angel. She sang about Christmas and made me feel like there is still magic in the world.
*I realized while compiling this list that our artists played so much this year, I didn't go to enough non-OM shows. Making that a goal for 2017! Thanks to the artists that moved me in 2016!